On Oct. 6, 2020 at the 2020 NHL Draft, Kaiden Guhle and Ozzy Wiesblatt joined an exclusive group of Prince Albert Raiders alumni.
Kaiden Guhle and Ozzy Wiesblatt became the 18th and 19th Raiders to be selected in the first round of the NHL Draft, respectively. Guhle was chosen 16th overall by the Montreal Canadiens, while the San Jose Sharks picked Wiesblatt with the 31st overall pick. Their names can now be grouped with the Raiders who have been picked in the first round. Here is that list:
- James Patrick – 1981, New York Rangers, Ninth overall
- Dave Pasin – 1984, Boston Bruins, 19th overall
- Dave Manson – 1985, Chicago Blackhawks, 11th overall
- Pat Elynuik – 1986, Winnipeg Jets, Eighth overall
- Kim Issel – 1986, Edmonton Oilers, 21st overall
- Mike Modano – 1988, Minnesota North Stars, First overall
- Scott Allison – 1990, Edmonton Oilers, 17th overall
- Dean McAmmond – 1991, Chicago Blackhawks, 22nd overall
- Denis Pederson – 1993, New Jersey Devils, 13th overall
- Steve Kelly – 1995, Edmonton Oilers, Sixth overall
- Brad Church – 1995, Washington Capitals, 17th overall
- Chris Phillips – 1996, Ottawa Senators, First overall
- Scott Hartnell – 2000, Nashville Predators, Sixth overall
- Kyle Chipchura – 2004, Montreal Canadiens, 18th overall
- Mark McNeill – 2011, Chicago Blackhawks, 18th overall
- Josh Morrissey – 2013, Winnipeg Jets, 13th overall
- Leon Draisaitl – 2014, Edmonton Oilers, Third overall
With the selection of Guhle and Wiesblatt, it marked the 10th consecutive year that a member of the Raiders had been picked in the NHL Draft. In that 10-year span, 15 Raiders heard their names called during the draft.
Guhle is the fifth player to be drafted by the Canadiens, joining Jeff Lank (1993), Evan Lindsay (1999), Kyle Chipchura (2004), and Cole Fonstad (2018). Wiesblatt is just the second Raider to be drafted by the Sharks; the other player was Cam Severson in 1997.
Also, Guhle and Wiesblatt were the first Raiders to be drafted 16th overall and 31st overall, respectively.
For the full Raiders’ 2020 NHL Draft recap, click here.